Thursday, August 9, 2018

What really Matters?





Max has worked hard this week in school and at Evit. He comes home so excited to share what he had learned. Like that fact, bad people hack into other people’s computers. He brings up words I have never  heard him use before. It warms my heart to see him learning about the world we live in.
So many of the young men Max’s age are getting their mission calls to serve for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Max on the other hand is still in high school learning about the good and bad of the world that he should of comprehend years ago.
I’m not one who likes to compare my children to others because it can make or break a mother. But, I do see he is years behind those of his age. Young men that are Max’s age and even younger are working now that they are finished with high school. They are receiving their mission calls to foreign places and they are seeking out opportunities to be independent from their parents. In a way, it breaks my heart that Max is not there yet, but at the same time I know he will get where they are just not right now. I look back on how far Max’s has come. How much he has achieve and I see what a pure, healthy human being he has become. What I mean by healthy is he is not deceitful, mean, dishonest instead he is honest, helpful, kind and he always is truthful. He always is trying to work hard and learn. He is so fun to be around too. He is always positive and keeps a smile on his face from sun up to sun down. The most precious thing about Max is he is loving and friendly. He still tells me several times a day that I am beautiful.
As a mother, I have always wanted what is best for my children and have told myself the greatest advice I can give my children is to value an education. They need to make the right choices that will give them the opportunities to achieve a college degree.  My two oldest have master’s degrees, one an AA degree an another is a couple of classes short of having theirs.
When my other four children were Max’s age they were driving, dating, going to school functions and bringing their friends to our home. Max on the other hand is content with being home alone and watching others play games on YouTube. I keep telling myself he will someday have a desire to have friends over or go out and do activities with them. I will continue to encourage Max  to see the importance of socializing and building relationships with others. I can’t and will not tell others he is about the age of a fourteen years old, because in some ways he is, but in other ways he is not. He is  capable even though his interest  is at the age of a fourteen-year-old.
There is never a dull moment with having a special needs child. They are a blessing, but physically and mentally a lot of work to raise. Max was physically challenging when he was young and now it’s been mentally challenging to help him have more experiences to grow. Mentally hard to see him behind those of  his age, but I remind myself that he is where he needs to be and that is all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment